Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I'm thinking...

There's a reason my favorite hour of the day is those hours just before I fall asleep. Those are my thinking hours. My hours of quiet. My hours to lie on my back and think of nothing or everything at once. Sometimes I find myself just staring off into the dark for hours at a time, thinking serious thoughts. Not serious in the unpleasant sense, on the contrary they are quite peaceful thoughts. They are serious in the contemplative sense. I like to think about people. How we all relate to each other. How our lives intersect in this complex pattern; like threads weaving together in a rug. I know that's a metaphor that's probably been used a lot, but it's interesting to think about isn't it? All those threads twisting together, all those lives that we affect and that affect us. Most of the time we look at the world from a rather self centered perspective. Even if we are considering someone else's feelings it is always from our own point of view. It's inevitable. We all approach things with different backgrounds, with different thoughts to build upon, there is no way to be completely unbiased. I just find it interesting to think about how all the other people in my life are feeling or acting when I'm not around them. Recently my brother said something about how someone acted more maturely around me. I remember that exact thought used to bother me about a year ago. I would wonder if people were merely mirroring what I was trying to be. I guess I was worried that I was seeing what I wanted to see rather than who people really were. Last night I was thinking about it again and I realized that it wasn't such a bad thing after all. I hope I have that affect on people. I hope that by being kind and thoughtful people will see something they want to be too. If they see me as mature, it will be something they will want to imitate. I want to be a positive influence. How people act around us is not so much "seeing a false side" as seeing the affect of our words and actions. It really makes you think about the impact of our presence. How do we make others feel? All interactions are about some give and take. Careless words uttered, negatively received, responded to in like, ending emotion unhappiness. Or it could be the other way completely. It's really interesting to think about. There's just so much to think about. Human relations. Human interactions. How our presence affects people. Or vise versa.

I'm creating...

I think perhaps this prompt would be better suited for today it were instead "something I'm working on." Because if it were that I would respond that I'm addressing my graduation announcements. It really isn't very creative, but it is the project I am currently working on. So that it was I'm putting down.

I'm wearing...

A dress with grey and black stripes, boots and my necklace with the Pride and Prejudice quote.

I'm reading...

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. Apparently it is a "classic of my generation" so I must read it. So I am. Also my brothers are very excited about my reading it.

Outside my window...

The clouds are really pretty today. I like watching them drift, it's really relaxing. They move so slowly, as if they knew the wind was propelling them ever forwards, but intended to take their time and enjoy the trip.

I'm listening to...

The washing machine whirl on it's last run. Or at least until that cycle is done and the next must be loaded.

One of my favorite things...

The feeling I had last night. My family all together. The little ones sleeping upstairs. My Mom and Dad sitting on one side of me. My brothers Marcus and Eli sitting on the other side. Warm and comfortable, curled up in a blanket. It was one of the best feelings in all the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment